Meatless Mondays are a great way to lower your carbon and water footprint!
Growing up near New Orleans, gumbo was always my favorite home-cooked meal. Time to try a new meatless version for Fat Tuesday tomorrow!
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 3 chopped stalks of celery
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
- 3 sliced carrots (not baby carrots!)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced okra
- Spices. I suggest:
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- 1/3 tsp. cayenne pepper
Now, let’s get started:
- Stir together oil and flour in your biggest pot until smooth. Cook over high heat until roux turns a dark caramel color (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and celery until vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in all remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until carrots are tender (about 40 minutes).
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
Let me know if y’all try this or what other meals I should try!