This coming year I’m going to be an Eco Rep at my university through our Office of Sustainability. The mission of the Eco Reps program is to effectively educate and empower students within their residential communities to act as environmental stewards, while simultaneously providing opportunities for involvement in campus sustainability. The Eco Reps program is interested in investing in our most valuable resource for positive cultural change: our students.
Through this program, I’m going to:
- Learn about sustainability and environmental issues (I definitely do this already, but I’ll have a group to do it with!)
- Conduct sustainability-related outreach and plan and promote educational sustainability-related programming
- Engage peers in creating a sustainable community within the residence hall and connect students to important resources on campus
- Create important mentor-mentee relationships with residential students, many of whom are freshmen, transfer students, or international students.
- Collect concerns and questions regarding resource management and conservation issues on campus
- Directly improve the Ole Miss community by increasing environmental awareness and generating a sense of community around environmental stewardship
I am really excited and so thankful for this opportunity! I am counting on you guys to give me any advice you may have! Have any of y’all participated in a similar program? Or wished you could have? Let me know! 🙂